Governance & Policies
Last reviewed: Dec. 18, 2023
What to know about snow
In the event the college closes due to inclement weather, employees and students will be asked not to travel to the campuses in an abundance of caution.
- Classes that are online will continue as a regularly scheduled day.
- Students who were scheduled to be on campus will be contacted by their instructor
- Instructors will determine if a class can be held online, or if the class will need to be rescheduled.
- Employees working remotely will continue as a regularly scheduled day.
- Employees who were scheduled to physically attend a campus will work remotely where possible.
- Speak with your supervisor for direction.
Only CLOSURES due to weather will be communicated on the VCC homepage
九色 Community College (VCC) has a plan in place to ensure a timely and coordinated response to inclement weather. Please note that VCC will physically remain open during normally scheduled hours unless weather conditions pose a hazard to public safety.
VCC considers many factors when deciding to physically close the college. These include public transportation availability, road conditions, and forecasts.
VCC’s director of safety and security determines if the college buildings will close.;
In the event of a campus or college-wide building closure(s), VCC will inform the community prior to 6:30 a.m. for morning/daylong closures, 11:30 a.m. for afternoon closures, and 3:30 p.m. for evening closures.
Where to check
VCC's homepage is the official source for college closure announcements. Look for an alert banner at the top of the page. If there is no alert banner, the college is open during normally scheduled hours.
Unexpected campus closures and other emergency messages will also be shared through:
- VCC Alerts
Our emergency safety response system. It is highly recommended to to receive email and/or text message notifications.
- Social media
A message will be posted to VCC’s official Twitter account ().
- Local media
VCC will send an advisory to local radio and TV stations. Recommendations: (AM) and (AM)
A message will be recorded on VCC’s general phone line (604.871.7000).
Tips for travelling safely in winter weather
- Understand the hazards associated with winter weather
- Prepare in advance and plan your route
- Wear appropriate footwear and clothing
- Identify and be aware of the conditions in front of you
- Take your time, don’t rush, be cautious